Tuesday 29 December 2015

My Top 10 Games of 2015

G'day there guys and gals!

Yes it's that time of year again when we revisit all our gaming memories over the past year and see which ones stick with us the most. As in every year, this is my personal list of games that exceeded in one area or more, and in saying that, some ground rules!
If the game releases in episodes and the majority came out this year, I'm counting it as a release of this year. HOWEVER, I'm not including any recent HD remakes if their original game was only released a few years ago. So Saints Row IV Re-Elected, Sleeping Dogs, all that noise, not gonna count.


So! Let's begin!

10: Wolfenstein The Old Blood.
The New Order was supposed to be a brand new look to the world that was Wolfenstein, a game where those of us that can remember, helped push forward the First Person Shooter genre into the giant that it is today. The Old Blood is the Prequel to the story of the The New Order and much like it's previous game, is incredibly fun. The storyline was...admittedly a little choppy in areas but still held up well, and although nothing was improved immensely, the game itself is still a great addition to your collection.

9: Rare Replay
So some of you may count this as just a pushout of the older titles, but there are so many games in this collection, I just had to add it into my Top 10. Featuring the huge library of game titles over Rare's lifetime (minus those that couldn't get release against their copyright), the game features hours upon hours of old and relatively newer titles we have enjoyed over the years, with the bonus of interviews, achievements and revisiting our childhood.

8: Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
Now, for those who know me, you know another AC title will appear on this list later on but I wanted to give this game the spotlight it deserves. One part of the a three part trilogy, AC Chronicles China is unlike any other Assassin's Creed title to date; players traversity a 2.5D universe and solving puzzles of both stealth and deadly assassinations in order to complete their mission. Surprisingly long, and with Chronicles India and Russia on the way, I can't wait to see the other two games.

7: Dying Light
I have been (somewhat) a fan of Dead Island, loving the gameplay but hating mostly everything else. Then comes Dying Light; taking the horror and fear of a zombie apocalypse and putting it into a well balanced and fun parkour gamestyle. Sure, I can complain about the ending until the cows come home (Who uses this saying anymore? What am I, 80?), but the game overall is solid and more that worth your time.

6: Halo 5: Guardians.
Without a shadow of a doubt, I probably just pissed off a lot of Halo fans, and subconsciously, myself as well. Don't get me wrong; technical wise, this game is solid, plays incredibly well and is fun with a bunch of your friends on multiplayer, but the storyline's cut and dry ending/set up plus being overall dissatisfying leaves this game much higher on the list than intended. Play for the Co-Op/Multiplayer, but be wary of the Campaign.

5: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition.
While I am breaking my rule about remakes, the original came out nearly a decade ago and I consider this much more than a remake. Gears of War has always had a large cult fandom, and this game definitely appeals to all. Revamped controls, cutscenes, new levels (and now with Horde!), this collection of the first Gears game is a definite must own for fans of the series and those who love a good gory game.

4: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
As a giant Assassin's Creed fan, I will personally kick my own arse for not putting this game higher on the list, BUT the game plays beautifully (Rare are the Unity glitches this time around), looks beautiful and is just a delight to play. Fans of the series who are looking for a way back into the series, this is your sign. Everything about this game takes all the old elements and improves upon them ten fold.

3: Telltale's Game of Thrones
While Episode One came out roughly this time last year, the majority of the parts came out in 2015, and one after the other have been an intoxicating experience. While still maintaining the classic Point and Click style gameplay, the storyline, voice acting and mechanics of the game itself hold this game up much higher on the list.

2: Fallout 4
I can already see some people immediately leaving this post because this game isn't number one, but don't let that discourage you! Fallout 4 is by far one of the greatest RPGs in recent years. The gameplay, storyline, voice acting, every part of this game has been created lovingly and obviously been put through a lot in order to be released in such a pristine and excellent state. The missions do tend to repeat but you won't care are you're battling your way through a legendary Deathclaw! This is a must by before the end of the year.

1: Life is Strange
Without a doubt, the people at DontNod Entertainment have put a massive amount of thought into creating this series and personally, and admittedly, at first it was one that I reluctantly avoided for the time being. I saw the hype, I had been burned by so many terrible, terrible games this year. But then I started playing...and immediately got hooked. I started writing theories, I started debating on what was going to happen next, and it was one of the few series I started streaming live for people to watch! This game completely destroyed my innocence; the gameplay was simplistic but brilliantly inventive, the puzzles were fun and creative, the storyline and the voice acting was sublime, everything about this game was brilliant. If you have yet to play this game, I implore you to buy the series now. 

With 2016 now on the horizon, I can't wait for next year's titles, especially the new Dishonored and Deus Ex. What games are you excited for? Let me know!
And as always, have fun and game on! See you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment