Wednesday 9 March 2011

Review: Army of Two - The 40th Day

Hey there guys and girls.

This game was thruster upon me a few months ago, and I must admit, I grew attached to it quickly and how the gameplay worked and eventually developed. Army of Two The 40th Day.

Firstly, I wish to say that I had never played the first Army of Two and this game was a completely new experience to me. One of the first things that impressed me was Customisation. Never, and I mean NEVER, have I seen a level of this amount of Customisation to a playable character and such games as Saints Row 2 can be put to shame by this game. The player can choose what outfit their chosen protagonist wears, you can choose what mask he wears (Or make one yourself online!) and what stunned me the most, was the ability to customise your weaponry.
You get to choose what scope, what colour, silencers or enhancers, the whole kit and caboodle. You can go simple and keep it sleek and nice, or go insane, colour your pistol red, gold and covered in poker chips and have a soda can as your silencer!

What impressed me as well was the storyline and the voice acting. The game itself is full of fighting, and at some times, sneaking past a patrol of enemies. What impressed me was the acting: If there was a gunfight, the characters would yell orders, which increased in volume the further you traveled from your companion, while being undercover, the characters whisper in hushed voices, or just give hand signals to each other when too close for speech. With a great storyline such as this and the level of acting was just...brilliant.


A few of the bad points, however small, did drag down my mood a slight nod. As I said before, you can create your own mask online and then transfer it over onto your character. It was a real struggle to do this, as both the game and the website do not tell you it requires both your 360 to be online and active on Xbox Live and your computer must be on as well, on the site of creatinng your own mask. Another small annoyance was also playing online with friends. Playing with a buddy online is great fun and a good way to stock up Achievements (If that's your thing) but this is very, very prone to lag, freezing and at some points, reducing the Xbox to freeze and not work at all. These were the only bugs I was able to find.


However overall, this game was such a delight, I thanked the man who placed this game in my hands. A challenging and smart game, that should be remembered by both game developers and gamers alike for its level of Customisation, its real shining star.


Out of 10, I gave Army of Two: The 40th Day a 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment