Thursday 31 March 2011

Review: Mass Effect 2 "The Arrival" DLC

Hey there folks!

I'm here to review the new (And sadly last) DLC for Mass Effect 2: The Arrival

This, clearly by the name itself, sounds completely fantastic and fans of the series will not be dissapointed!
For those who are not familiar with the series, Mass Effect follows a man named Shepard, a Commander in the System Alliance Navy. The year is 2185 (In Mass Effect 2) and a giant machine race known as the "Reapers" who destroy all life, are coming back. The only person who can stop them, is Shepard, along with his crew of 13 people of course!
The Arrival is set DIRECTLY before the storyline of Mass Effect 3 (Coming out this November!) Shepard is contacted by Admiral Hacket who tells him a scientist has discovered evidence of a Reaper invasion. Problem is, a race of beings known as Batarians (Who absolutely HATE humans) has accused her as a terrorist and take her back to a prison on a near by world.
Hacket asks Shepard to go get her back.
Seeing as anything more I say is a huge spoiler, I will be silent.

However, I can talk about how the experience was.
With my first playthrough, I noticed that some of my special attacks as a Vanguard (Part Biotic Part Soldier) lagged the game. For example, every time I used the Dash ability, the game would pixilate and freeze for a moment, I would be stuck to the floor for a few seconds or I didn't move at all and the enemy I was aiming for bounced backward and I have my shields recovered.
This was easily looked over in my second playthrough.
The graphics on the game itself was just....astounding! Playing through the game its hard not to be in awe at how far Bioware has come with their graphics and storyline. None of the additional cast was voiced in the DLC other than Shepard (Male Shepard - Mark Meer/ Female Shepard - Jennifer Hale)
This, however a small letdown, was still fantastic at how much effort they placed into the vocal acting. Mark Meer placed a lot of emotion as Jennifer placed in her seriousness.
Both were well picked for the role.

If you are into it, there are three achievements: Covert Action, Last Stand and The Ultimate Sacrifice. Easy to get, even despite one of them is a little tricky.
Covert Action requires you to get to the Scientist without catching any attention. Not very hard, just walk when near them and you should be fine. Last Stand is tricky, asking for you to last 5 rounds of constant attackers in Project Rho. When this part of the level starts, kill all the guards to the right and run quickly. From there, you can hide behind cover at the far back of the room and easily pick off attackers. However, Round Five sends two (Or in the Insanity Difficulty setting, three) Heavy Mechs your way. But if you have the Cain heavy weapon, you should be fine.
The Ultimate Sacrifice asks one thing: To complete the DLC.

While some reviewers complain that the DLC was too short and not very well refined, I disagree. This DLC has left me wanting Mass Effect 3 more than ever. While I agree that is was short and had not much dialogue, what was there was perfect to lead us straight into the next installment, the final chapter in the saga that has had many gamers transfixed since 2006

Out of 10, I gave The Arrival DLC a 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment