Saturday 20 November 2010

The first review: The Force Unleashed 2

G'day folks!

Since this is my first review and post, I thought I would start off with a newly released game, to which has me buzzing. Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2.

As a great fan of the previous game, I was looking forward to the release of the sequel and lucky enough, I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. The opening credits, simular to its predecessor, was welcoming as I familiarised myself with the controls. The great acting of Sam Witwer (voice and looks of Darth Vader's Secret Apprentice, Starkiller) enforced even more by his growing vocal abilities, adding both depth and emotion to the character.

The controls were a little more flidly than they were in the previous game, yet with the new challenges to overcome, makes it hardly noticible as you slash your way through waves of enemies. My particular favourite feature was the new customisation of the lightsabres, and I was finally enthralled to have a double purple sabre, thrashing around at everyone. I also loved the theatre mode in the previous game and was glad to see its return, as I could rewatch the extent of the cinematic. The graphics in game were astounding and surprising for Lucasarts, who usually save their cash for sound effects and the actors.

Two things that did become frustrating were both the Fury mode and some of the enemies you face. When you first hear of Fury Mode, you would generally expect it to be aggressive and out of control. I did enjoy the perks of power it gave me, but a flourishing of sabres and crackling lighting did not seem as furious as I had expected. (Warning: SPOILER AHEAD!) At the end of the campaign, Starkiller becomes fueled by anger and turns on the Fury Mode automatically, this scene was a little dissapointing but overall saved by once again, the fantastic acting of Sam Witwer. One enemy in particular, the Spider Droid, I found tough to deal with until I unlocked the Force Repulse. But in a later level (Which will go on nameless) you are forced to battle a large enemy with the Spider Droids around you. I found my Force abilities drained and pretty much smashing the X button and occaisonally adding in the lighting sweep.

But, even with it's small flaws, I found both the Challenges and campaign to rival such great games that I will review in later days. 


Out of 10, I gave The Force Unleashed 2 an 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment