Monday 22 November 2010

Review: Halo Reach

'Morning folks.

  Halo Reach, the game that is meant to satisfy every Halo fanatic across the globe. Question is, has one of the greatest selling titles left its franchise on the highest note possible to achieve?

The game, itself, is brilliant. The promotional tools used greatly attracted both the fans of the Halo Universe and all lovers of an FPS (First Person Shooter)
While being a Special Task Group, it seems that they (Noble Team) are the best of the best, of all the Spartans. (Warning: SPOILER AHEAD) However, I find it a little odd that only one of them survive the assault of the Covenant and it is not your character (Which, I suspected to be John-117) 
The Campaign was fantastic and one of my favourite features of this game is the Customisation of your Multiplayer character. For those who do not know, Reach allows Customisation for your Multiplayer character and whatever changes you make to him/her, will be changed to your Campaign character. From the helmet to what happens when you die, my personal favourite being the confetti with children yelling "Yay!" when you die.


This, unfortunately, brings me to the bad points.

While I highly enjoyed the acting done by the Noble Team, there were some fantastic points while others were not too great. For example, the opening mission as Jorge (played brilliantly by Hakeem Kae Kazim) finds a young woman hiding behind the stairs. While the last mission, as Carter flies the Pelican, was not good at all. The Multiplayer, while great, has only one fault that I can see. A lot of the gamers, understandably, are children around the age of 11-14 (The youngest I've met so far being 7) and if I, getting a little annoyed at them camping behind corners with shotguns, let out a swear, my reps are instantly placed down. I don't care, I just find it annoying that if I even say "Heck" or "Bloody", the kids parents instantly place a complaint. Yes, one may argue that there is  an option to choose either a Quiet team or Rowdy team, but its either kids screaming in my ear or tweens telling me that I'm their bitch. Pick your poison.

One may choose to say that this is just the players, not the games fault, but this has put me off the multiplayer for a small time. Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I'm happy to see more versions of Infection.

I am glad to say that the final Halo chapter lived up to all its expectations. The small annoyances can not take away what such a brilliant game this is. I'm sad to see the series come to an end (for now...?) but this game will delight for some time.

Out of 10, I gave Halo Reach a 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment